COMIFAC Sub-regional preparatory workshop for upcoming meetings under the UNFCCC, 16-18 October 2018, Douala, Cameroon
Please download the document below:
The sub-regional workshop aims primarily to strengthen the skills of COMIFAC negotiators in light of the findings of various discussions held by different bodies during the Bangkok special session, to ensure that the sub-region takes an active and meaningful part in the Katowice Conference.
Specific objectives include:
- Understanding the outcomes of the Bangkok special session;
- Reviewing items of interest on the agenda of the Katowice conference;
- Highlighting the stakes of the Katowice conference;
- Devising a strategy for the sub-region’s participation in COP 24;
- Reviewing the guidelines for the implement of the Paris Agreement;
- Allowing countries to share experiences in the implementation of their NDCs;
- Identifying the components of a sub-regional project to revise the NDCs of the COMIFAC countries;
- Allowing experience-sharing on reporting within the framework of biennial update reports (BUR);
- Developing a sub-regional reporting strategy within the framework of the BURs.
The following are the expected results:
- Participants have taken ownership of items of interest on the agenda of the Katowice Climate Conference;
- Participants have taken ownership of the findings of various bodies’ proceedings during the Bangkok special session;
- The stakes of the Katowice conference have been highlighted;
- A strategy is established for the participation of delegates from COMIFAC member countries;
- COMIFAC negotiators have taken ownership of guidelines on the implementation of the Paris Agreement;
- Participants have been educated on the implementation of NDCs in COMIFAC member countries, have drawn lessons from the process and identified the needed components of a sub-regional project to review the NDCs;
- A sub-regional strategy on reporting within the framework of the BURs is established based on the countries’ experiences in the field.
Conduct of the workshop
With a facilitator on hand to provide technical support, the workshop will be led for the most part by Experts of the COMIFAC Executive Secretariat.
The proceedings will be conducted mainly in plenary session. They will include technical presentations that will further increase the participants’ awareness and equip them to effectively contribute towards the workshop’s objectives based on consensus-building during the discussions that will follow the presentations.
For more information, please download the document below: