global-mechanism: What is the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and the Sahel Initiative?
The Great Green Wall is a major African-led initiative with the bold ambition to restore the productivity and vitality of the Sahel region, whilst ‘growing solutions’ to the Continent’s most urgent development challenges.
Spanning the entire width of Africa – 7 775km from Senegal to Djibouti – the “wall” consists of a mosaic of projects implemented by countries in the region with the support of development partners, including the UNCCD.
The initiative is about far more than just growing trees. It has a clear vision to:
- Grow climate resilience for local communities in a region set to be hit by a 3-5 degree temperature rise by 2050
- Grow food security for the 20 million people in the Sahel that go hungry every year
- Grow 'green' jobs to provide stable incomes for African women and youth
- Grow a global response to the migration crisis, with 60 million people set to migrate to Europe from degraded parts of Africa by 2020
- Grow peace and security in the Sahel, where conflict has displaced 2.8 million people this year alone
For more Information, please check: HERE