CIFOR: Climate Summit statements: Agriculture + Forests = Landscapes?
Six global thought leaders presented their big ideas on changing the future of forests and climate research at the Colloquium on Forests and Climate, a special high-level scientific debate hosted by CIFOR, the Earth Institute and Columbia University. Here’s a sampling of what they had to say:
- JOHN HOLDREN: “Expanded access to clean energy has to be at the heart of any international development agenda.”
- CARLOS NOBRE: “Innovation would come from emergence of a new, transformative economic paradigm for the global tropics.”
- CHERYL PALM: “Bioversity is becoming more important than the carbon story.”
Click here to see videos and transcripts of all the presentations at the Colloquium on Forests and Climate.
How do we maximize the overall benefits of land use? In a session held during the CGIAR Development Dialogues, a side event to the UN Climate Summit, CIFOR Director General Peter Holmgren led a discussion of high-level panelists on integrated landscape approaches for agriculture, forestry and other land uses. Watch a video of the session here.
Twenty-five years ago, the Montreal Protocol initiated a worldwide ban on ozone-depleting substances. It worked: The Earth’s ozone layer is now recovering. A similarly ambitious plan could curb carbon emissions by enabling carbon storage in forests, write Louis Verchot and Peter Howson, but will require more pushing to overcome technical and financing issues to address humanity’s greatest challenge.
Join our growing online community by following @ForestsCC and signing up to monthly updates here.
6-7 December: 2014 Global Landscapes Forum in Lima
The most dynamic land-use event of the year is beginning to take shape, with speakers confirming their presence at the 2014 Global Landscapes Forum including:
- Peru Environment Minister and UNFCCC COP 20 President Manuel Pulgar-Vidal
- Peru Agriculture Minister Juan Manuel Benites Ramos
- World Bank Senior Director Paula Caballero
- Unilever CEO Paul Polman
- Food systems activist Raj Patel
These speakers will join 200 other experts leading discussions to seek answers on such issues as climate change, urbanization, green economy, sustainable energy and more. Expect learning events—and heated debates. Click here to access the latest updates on Forum speakers, and check this space for an updated agenda.
- SAVE YOUR SPOT: Registration to the Forum is open—act now for early-bird discounts.
- LAST CALL FOR EXHIBITIONS: There are only a few spots left for your organization to host an exhibition at the Forum. Click here for more details.
- VISUALIZE DATA AND WIN: Do you make infographics? The Forum’s infographic competition encourages research institutions, think tanks, designers and others to visualize the holistic ‘landscape approach.’ First prize: $1000. Click here to find out more.