In this role, you will work with 6 cities in Rwanda, Ethiopia, and South Africa to recommend and develop finance and funding strategies for urban water resilience projects in those geographic contexts. You will work closely with the Project Lead and city stakeholders to identify priority projects in each city and conduct the needed research to identify investment opportunities and financing strategies for 1-2 priority urban water initiatives in each city.
Director Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy - UA
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Purpose of Job
To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy Department in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Department and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the Department, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies, and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the Department’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the Department;
- Manages the work of the Department and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the Department and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters, and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies, and procedures;
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates/Departments;
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization, attributed to the Department;
- Implements and maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Department;
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects, and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Department.
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures, and ensures business continuity of the Department.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent..
- Initiates and manages the development of policies, strategies and programs that contribute to the goals of DARBE consistent with AUC vision and mandates.
- Liaises /Coordinates with the UN, RECs/RMs and other international organization on matters related to Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy in Africa;
- Oversees and ensures effective execution of activities of the AU Agenda 2063 Flagship projects in the field of sustainable environment and blue economy, ensuring complementarity and synergy with AUDA-NEPAD, Regional Economic Communities and other continental institutions;
- Oversees and coordinates the work of the divisions of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy
- Maintains liaison with other Departments of the AUC as well as AUDA-NEPAD, RECs and other relevant stakeholders to identify and promote synergies across initiatives and to ensure a coordinated development and implementation of such initiatives.
- Initiates and strengthens forums for stakeholders’ consultations, lesson and experiences sharing as well as capacity strengthening.
- Prepares periodic reports on the implementation of the Department’s programs and operations.
- Provides strategic advice and support to the Commissioner for Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment in preparing statements, proposals, briefs, reports and other relevant tasks
- Any other related assignments as may be assigned by the supervisor.