Job Ref: NRG-09-22-G5-1
Location: UK - Hybrid with access to London or Edinburgh offices
Function: Natural Resources Group
Salary: £33,869 - £42,029 per annum
Status: Full Time
Researcher – Locally Controlled Forest Business
Hybrid - Edinburgh or London
Home working in any country outside the UK may be considered, given that the candidate has the right to work in that country, and the pay and benefits package will depend on the country where the successful candidate lives/works.
The closing date for this role is 16th October 2022.
Interviews are expected to take place between 24th to 26th October 2022.
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is a policy and action research organisation promoting sustainable development and linking local priorities to global challenges. We are based in London and work on five continents with some of the world’s most vulnerable people to strengthen their voice in the decision-making arenas that affect them. With more than 150 members of staff working with associates and partners around the world, IIED has been at the forefront of evidence-based policymaking in sustainable development for over 50 years.
This role falls within the Forest Team of the Natural Resources Group (NRG). The NRG aims to promote sustainable governance of natural resources by building capacity and promoting informed decision-making in communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
We are now looking for a Researcher to join our Forest Team on a permanent, full-time basis.
- Salary of £33,869 - £42,029 per annum, depending on experience
- 25 days' annual leave per year, increasing by one day for every completed 2 years' service up to 30 days for full-time staff with 10 years' service. We are also closed between Christmas and New Year and this is additional paid holiday
- 7.5% employer's pension contributions to the IIED pension scheme
- A range of flexible working options for all employees after a qualifying period
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption policies
- An employee protection scheme offering a flexible menu of benefits such as life insurance, spouse and partner life cover, critical illness and/or income protection cover
This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced researcher with a background in forestry or development work in Africa to join our committed organisation.
Your unique set of research skills will be essential to our continued progress in supporting sustainable development across the globe and doing everything we can to protect the environment.
So, if you’re ready to become a strategic collaborator, innovator, knowledge broker and agent of change, we want to hear from you!
As a Researcher, you will support our work programme on forests and prosperity across the Global South.
With a specific focus on forest enterprise and value chain development in African countries, you will support the design, implementation and monitoring of a portfolio of innovative action research projects.
Conducting collaborative research, you will analyse and communicate findings to reach policy audiences as well as using them to write pieces for publication, targeting different audiences with different forms of media.
Additionally, you will:
- Organise and participate in workshops, webinars and action research events
- Contribute to setting up and monitoring project budgets
- Liaise with funders to ensure regular communication on technical issues and tasks
To be considered as a Researcher, you will need:
- Research experience in forestry or development work in a country in Africa
- Work experience in a research or technical capacity in forestry or forest business development
- Knowledge of institutions, actors and current debates and research agendas in the field of forestry and sustainable business development
- An understanding of how to work effectively with partners in developing countries
- Strong conceptual, analytical, technical and synthesis skills
- Strong quantitative research skills, including economic analysis
- Advanced knowledge of Office software
- A degree in a discipline related to forestry and land use, business, economics or environmental science
Please note this role will require travel to developing countries when circumstances allow. The salary range advertised in GBP is applicable in the UK only, and the salary offer in another country would depend on the local terms and conditions. We only use the UK salary structure to determine starting salaries, but it will not apply to salaries outside the UK thereafter.
For more Information, please, download the Document here below: