Minister of State François-Xavier de Donnea takes part in sub-regional workshop of climate negotiators of the COMIFAC Climate Working Group.
The COMIFAC Climate Working Group held a workshop from 05 to 07 March 2019 in Malabo (Equatorial Guinea). The purpose of the meeting was to decode COP 24, prepare for future events under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and validate the concept notes of regional projects.
Please download the roadmap adopted by participants at the end of the Climate Working Group workshop
Speaking at the opening ceremony, the CBFP Facilitator discussed the monitoring of the implementation of the Paris Agreements, and the recent COP 24 meeting in Poland as well as the CBFP Facilitation and encouraged participants to give added value to the sub-region by submitting a robust portfolio of funding proposals to climate funds, and particularly urged them to help countries in the COMIFAC sub-region translate their determined contributions into economic value.
As part of its mandate, the Facilitation will continue to follow the conclusions of the proceedings and will be available, where necessary, to play its role in interacting with the CBFP donors’ colleges and other international initiatives related to climate issues.
The workshop drew close to thirty participants, including:
- Climate Change Directors /National UNFCCC Focal Points/ NDC Focal Points;
- National Designated Entities (NDEs) assigned to the CTCN;
- Focal Points/Coordinators of National Designated Authorities (NDAs) for interactions with the GCF;
- Representatives of the COMIFAC Executive Secretariat;
- CTCN Experts and other partners;
- Partners in the development of already approved regional projects.
The overall aim of the workshop was to explore opportunities to speed up the implementation of the Paris Agreement in COMIFAC countries following the UNFCCC COP 24.
Its specific objectives were to:
- Help participants better understand the scope of the conclusions of COP24 in general, and those relating to issues of interest to the COMIFAC region in particular;
- Develop a strategy for the sub-region’s participation in future UNFCCC events (50th sessions of subsidiary bodies of the UNFCCC, COP 25/CMP 15 and CMA 2)
- - Validate two (02) requests submitted by regional projects respectively on (i) conducting a Technology Needs Assessment (TNA) and a Technology Action Plan (TAP) for the implementation of NDCs and (ii) conducting a feasibility study on waste and forest biomass recycling in COMIFAC countries;
- Strengthen collaboration between NDEs in the CTCN and NDAs at the GCF in project development at national level;
- raise awareness among NDAs and NDEs regarding the CTCN and GCF collaboration aimed at easing access to green technologies for combating climate change and its effects, in accordance with the guidelines of the GCF Board (Decision B.14 / 02) and the UNFCCC (in particular paragraphs 4 and 7 of Decision 14 / CP.22 on the relationship between the technological mechanism and the financial mechanism of the Convention)
- Get the NDAs at the GCF of each requesting country to sign (co-signing) the Technology Needs Assessment request to be funded through the GCF’s Readiness Programme;
Review respective regional projects that are already underway;
Roadmap adopted by participants at the end of the Climate Working Group workshop
Workshop concept note